We have been busy getting ready for our French Country in Bethany Hills Supper Club ever since it sold out early last week! If you aren’t lucky enough to join us this evening, why not give this Clafouti Recipe that we borrowed from Julia Child a try this weekend.
Traditionally a clafouti is made with cherries but can be made with any fresh fruit – as this is a dessert that let’s the fruit stand centre stage. We used raspberries, fresh picked this morning by Lunar Rhythm Gardens just up the road. If this heat wave continues it’s a light and easy dessert to enjoy on a hot summer’s night.
1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cups sugar, divided
1 tbsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup flour
3 cups raspberries
powdered sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a blender, combine the mil, 1/3 cup of sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour, and blend
3. Lightly butter an 8-cup baking dish and put a 1/4 inch layer of the blended mixture over the bottom. Set remaining batter aside.
4. Place dish into the oven for about 7-10 minutes, until a film of batter sets in the pan but the mixture is not baked through. Remove from oven (but don’t turn the oven off yet).
5. Distribute the raspberries over the set batter in the pan, then spring with the remaining sugar. Pour the remaining batter over the raspberries and sugar.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, until the clafouti is puffed and brown and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Servings 6-8 for dessert, 4 for breakfast.